Herdade da Torre
Herdade da Torre, located in Redondo, was a property of the crown between the 17th and 19th centuries, belonged to the restricted nucleus of properties registered in the General Registry of National Chapels, a distinction that was only within the reach of privileged lands and whose founders were, in most cases , elements of the nobility or the upper bourgeoisie who were very close to the king. From the 19th century onwards, the cultivation of vines, hitherto heavily battered by bacteria of various kinds, began to gain greater resistance to these pests, largely due to the introduction of new technical innovations, including the planting of the so-called “vines Americans”. The municipality of Redondo begins to produce wines of excellence that are distinguished in the main International Exhibitions of the specialty such as the case of Viena de Austria (1873), Philadelphia (1876) and the Exhibition of the Crystal Palace of Porto (1880). From 1891 onwards, Eduardo Barrancos and his wife decided to start dividing this large property into Courelas of vines, holm oaks and cereals, well-defined plots of land (approximately 20,000 square meters each) and later sold in parcels to various interested parties.
With the death of Eduardo Barrancos in 1894, the process of dividing into holdings intensifies even more and it is at this juncture that the great-grandfather of the current owners, after winning a prize in the lottery, acquired these lands which, passing from generation to generation, to date, they are still known as the Courelas da Torre. More recently, the Falé family continued to produce grapes, and in 2011, after the death of the family’s patriarch, they opted to start vinification by exploiting their own grapes.